"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." attributed to Plato

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." attributed to Edmund Burke

Let's between us make the world a better place.




Sunday 7 December 2008

simone weil a wounded healer?

Simone Weil, the French philosopher, Christian mystic and activist, was known for her support of the cause of the working classes in early twentieth century France. She recognised that for any real and positive change to come about, a spiritual awakening must occur in the individual conscience. To achieve this she thought it was necessary to experience for herself the lives and hardships of those she sought to help. She recognised that she had to enter completely into their pain and suffering. She described this as allowing the experience to permeate her entire spirit and being. One must become a slave, she wrote, to understand what a slave endures.
Lasting and real solutions to the many and seemingly intractable problems of the 21st century world in which we live will not be found in Government interventions and interference. The world’s many fractures will not be healed in that way. Positive change must come from within our own hearts, through a healing of our own wounds and our own behaviour. To achieve that we have to rediscover our own spirituality, recognise with new eyes the spiritual in all our material experiences, and feel that spiritual awakening in our own individual consciences.
This is a healing imperative for our world. ‘There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root,’ wrote Henry David Thoreau. We all have to start striking at those roots.

3 comments:

Scott said...

I believe you commented on my blog once, I appreciate that. Since then, I have checked out your blog periodically. My blog has gone the way of my spiritual search for meaning in life - executed in Iraq, where I am currently deployed. I appreciate your comments, and what struck me today was your quote from Thoreau. He has long been one of my favorite writers and philosophers. Keep posting! If you'd like to contact me, my email is hdthoreaujr@gmail.com (I suppose that shows how much I like Thoreau's philosophy!).

Take care!

Sincerely,
Scott

Eleanor Stoneham said...

Scott how lovely to hear from you. You take care also.I am now hoping to post regularly say 2-3 times a week so keep your eyes open. Good to know someone out there reads them! Where can I find your blog?
Sorry i didnt mean to put your email up on the blog - do you want me to delete?
with prayer - regards Eleanor

Scott said...

Eleanor,
Feel free to leave my email in your comments, I'm not too worried about it. My blog is
http://thoreaujrdeploy.blogspot.com and I've titled it "The Pilgrim Sailor".

I look forward to reading more of your blog - if you hadn't posted on mine, I wouldn't have known yours was there! The Lord really does move in mysterious ways.

Pax Christi,
Scott

It's Time you knew - by Transition Rachel at YouTube

Many reasons to love La Gomera

Madeira

Sunset

Sunset
with vapor trails

Followers

Total Pageviews