"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." attributed to Plato

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." attributed to Edmund Burke

Let's between us make the world a better place.




Thursday 26 February 2009

mobile phones in cars

Yesterday someone is sent to jail after killing
a man soon after texting on the M1!!!
Tonight I see a mother driving a people
mover full of children on the school run
whilst negotiating a tricky set of lights and
one hand holding phone to ear! Some of the
children were clearly not her own.

She is breaking the law. Not to mention
being stupid and endangering the lives of
other peoples kids, and me! .And I see this
all the time on the roads. As a cyclist I worry.

What does it take to stop people breaking
laws. For me it is a straightforward moral
issue - I was brought up to obey the rules,
whether stealing or speeding or phones or
whatever.

It seems that most people now dont bother
at all about rules and regulations of any sort.
Speeding?!

As a Christian not only do we obey laws on honesty principle but of course this is a love thy neighbour as yourself issue, and that is c principle common to all the faiths!

What can we collectively do to put a stop to
this crazy murderous habit? Ideas?

Sorry have been so quiet for so long. Now "back in the loop" as they say!

blessings to all

Eleanor

2 comments:

Scott said...

Eleanor,

Thank you, and it's good to be back! I'm trying to get back into posting into the blog, but I have a lot of stuff still going on (building a new house, going on an assignment to Tampa, FL for several months while my house is being built...and the list continues). I will get back into it, though, and I'm looking forward to it! I'm glad to see you're posting, too. I agree with you on the people driving crazy and not obeying the traffic laws. Just short of paying for tons more cops to enforce the laws better, it's really hard to enforce them without some form of peer mechanism. But peer mechanisms are tough because your peers are speeding, too! Until people become more personally responsible for their actions, it's going to continue to go this way. We're becoming a hedonistic society, which, I believe, is the beginning of all of the problems we are having. People are in it for themselves and don't think about the greater consequences of their actions. Pope Benedict XVI said it best, ""We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires." Community, hopefully, will finally win back what it has lost.

Take care, and keep watching my page, too, I'm going to start writing again!

Christi Eleison,
Scott

Eleanor Stoneham said...

Scott hi - glad to see you back in loop as well. I love yourPope Benedict quote - sadly he is so so right. We had our second Lent Group last night, 6 of us discussing faith, hope and love and this was one of the things we touched on.Some people have said we are now in the Me-Millenium,so selfish about everything.
I've written something on that - I'll dig it out.

Take care Eleanor

It's Time you knew - by Transition Rachel at YouTube

Many reasons to love La Gomera

Madeira

Sunset

Sunset
with vapor trails

Followers

Total Pageviews